HUD Announces Opening of FY 2015 Application Period for Rural Capacity Building for Community Development and Affordable Housing Grants
Development Block Grant Program (CDBG) and the HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) create affordable housing and support economic development in communities across the Nation. However, the success of these efforts relies in large part on the capacity of local non-profits, local governments, and Indian Tribes to develop and implement effective housing and community development plans. Rural communities have unique challenges in meeting these needs. The funding appropriated for this program is intended to serve high-need rural areas and help rural housing development organizations, community development organizations (CDCs), community housing development organizations (CHDOs), local governments, and Indian tribes obtain financing, training and technical assistance necessary to undertake effective community development activities. The Rural Capacity Building for Community Development and Affordable Housing (Rural Capacity Building) program, is intended to fund applicants with demonstrated expertise in affordable housing and community development in high-need rural communities. HUD is making available through this NOFA $5,000,000 for Rural Capacity Building for Community Development and Affordable Housing Grants.
Funds may be used to provide the following services:
• Training, education, support, and advice to enhance the technical and administrative capabilities of rural housing development organizations, CDCs, CHDOs, local governments, and Indian tribes, including the capacity to participate in consolidated planning, as well as, in fair housing planning and Continuum of Care homeless assistance efforts that help ensure community-wide participation in assessing area needs; consulting broadly within the community; cooperatively planning for the use of available resources in a comprehensive and holistic manner; and assisting in evaluating performance under these community efforts and in linking plans with neighboring communities in order to foster regional planning.
• Loans, pass-through grants, development assistance, predevelopment assistance, or other financial assistance to rural housing organizations, CDCs, CHDOs, local governments, and Indian tribes to carry out community development and affordable housing activities that benefit low-income or low- and moderate-income families and persons, including the acquisition, construction, or rehabilitation of housing for low-income or low- and moderate-income families and persons, and community and economic development activities that create jobs for low-income persons. Such other activities as may be determined by the grantees in consultation with HUD.
Application Period: July 13 - September 14 (electronically submitted by 11:59PM EST)
Estimated Total Program Funding: $5,000,000
Award Ceiling: $2,500,000
Award Floor: $50,000
CDFA Number: 14.265 -- Rural Capacity Building for Community Development and Affordable Housing Grants
Eligible Applicants Include: Non-profits with 501(c)(3) status
• For more information, click HERE
• To view the full NOFA and access the application, click HERE
• For assistance, contact Davod Noguera | David.A.Noguera@hud.gov