Time flies: EPA 2021 Brownfield Grants are Just Around the Corner
Last April the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced 155 grant awardees who will receive a total of $65.6M in FY 2020 Brownfields Assessment, Revolving Loan, and Cleanup (ARC) grants. CCLR assisted 19 communities from EPA Regions 2, 9, and 10 (an increase from 13 communities assisted in 2019). These communities will receive $9.1M (an increase from $6.59M in 2019). They heeded CCLR’s advice to start early and had CCLR review their grant narratives. Congratulations to Region 2 recipients: Montgomery County Business Development Center, NY; Wayne County, NY; Toa Alto, PR, and many more!
The next round of applications for Multipurpose, Assessment, or Cleanup grants is expected mid-Summer. In the era of COVID-19, starting even earlier is paramount because checking off the key elements of a strong application may present unforeseen challenges. Some steps in your process will be different this year, but still need to be included for a strong application:
- Public participation, virtually
- Coordination from a distance
- Remote collaboration and team-building
- And your own changed workflow
So how does one prepare now for Multipurpose, Assessment, or Cleanup grant opportunities in FY2021?
- View CCLR’s recent Assessment, Revolving Loan, and Cleanup Grants and Federal Funding webinars.
- Create an account at TAB EZ to get access to online grant tools and resources, including sample grant applications.
- Reach out to CCLR to discuss grant options and eligibility. CCLR can also set up a joint call with your local EPA office.
- Contact potential partners in redevelopment, resilience, sustainability, housing, open space, renewable energy, and workforce development.
- Read EPA’s tips for starting your grant proposal early.
- Review criteria from previous grant rounds. These will be different for FY 2021, but can serve as a guide.
- Start drafting a grant application and send it to CCLR for review.
Stay tuned for updates from CCLR for the latest grant information and training dates.
Hindsight is 2020. Look forward to 2021.